Dr RA Mashelkar with Mr Mukesh Ambani
2. Second about determination - "...i was born in a poor family... two meals a day was tough....we had to borrow money from a lady who used to work as a house maid to pay for my education....I was given a scholarship of 60 rupees per month by the Sir Dorab Tata trust....It is very interesting that in the same Bombay house where i used to go collect the 60 Rupees, I now sit as a Director on the board of Tata Sons..." That is the power of faith and perseverance
3. " Someone once said - I think of only the future because that is where one is going to spend the rest of one's life"
4. " TCS had developed computer based functional literacy (CBFL) course, which can make illiterate women read a newspaper in 6-8 weeks at a cost of Rs 100($2). More then one lakh people have become functionally literate using this system in six states of India. It has also been used in South Africa with astonishing results"
5. "We have become an intolerant society in as far as risk taking and failure is concerned!!... Tolerance I think is going to be an essential part - tolerance for all religions, castes,creeds, socially deprived, economically deprived and for failure. So I believe that the New India that you have to build has to be on this solid fulcrum of Talent, Technology and Tolerance.
Lastly a couple of interesting quotes-
1. "Free enterprise was born with man and shall survive as long as man survives" - Mr AD Shroff - founder president, Forum of free enterprise
2. "People must come to accept private enterprise not as a neccessary evil but as an affirmative good" - Eugene Black, Former President, World Bank
(The booklet sent to me was sponsored by Shri Shailesh Kapadia Memorial Trust. Mr Shailesh Kapadia (1949-1988) was an eminent Chartered accountant in Mumbai).